Well, I finally got some real work done up top. If you look very closely, you can see where I've moved a deck beam forward from its original position. To prevent springing during the move, there is a pine crossbar on the frame where the deck beam was originally located. Why move it you ask? Simple: the boat can be built with or without a cabin. When building without, the deck frame just stays at the original position, but to build the cabin it needs to be moved forward 15 inches. I hope nobody gets too excited over the fact that it actually ended but moving 15-1/2 inches. It was a lot tougher than I thought to get the measurements just right where the sheer (top edge) is curving in toward the bow.
This is a lovely shot of the 3 drains I've got so far. I'll still need one for the bilge pump and one in the motor well when it's built. Actually, only the centre one is an honest-to-goodness bilge drain. The other two are the inlet and outlet for the cabin's cooling system. You may recall that we're planning to pump lake water through a transmission cooler or other radiator-like device to try and keep the cabin to a manageable temperature for Devy. Those hot days can be pretty tough to deal with at the best of times.
And finally, here's a shot of the cockpit floor in progress. As you can see, I've got the floatation and the floor battens in place. There was some confusion over how to make all this work, because every set of instructions I've got just glosses over the flooring. A bit of reading between the lines and some comparisons between the floor and the hull led to the result you see hear. Note that the floatation stops about 9 inches short of the transom for access to the drain plug and 'coolant' plumbing. If you look sight along the sheer at the right side of the photo, you can see that there is still a lot of planing to do in order to get the side-decking under control. I decided to leave that until I had a floor because it's quite a reach from outside with the boat on the trailer.